Austro-Hungarian Werndl M.1877 Carbine
Caliber: 11 x 36 mm, rimmed
Austro-Hungarian empire Werndl M.1877 carbine that was still
used as a secondary weapon in World War One! The M.1877 carbine is identical
with the M.1873 carbine except for different calibration of the rear sight.
While M.1877 rear sight is graduated to 1600 paces for a more powerful
M.77 cartridge, the M.1873 rear sight is graduated only up to 600 paces
for the older cartridge. The carbine has correct finger spur on the trigger
guard. The carbine features the modified and strengthened rotary-block
breech design with central hammer. Developed from M.1867 action that was
competing successfully in military trials with Remington Rolling Block.
The carbine was made in 1886 (last year of production!) as indicated by
markings stamped on the lockplate. The maker abbreviation, "OEWG" is stamped
on the breech and on the lockplate (OESTERREICHISCHE WAFFENFABRIKS GESELLSHAFT
STEYR UND PEST). The lockplate displays, "OEWG 86". Some small Austro-Hungarian
proof marks are stamped on the lower part of the buttstock. Matching serial
numbers (the matching numbers are stamped on the rotary block, receiver,
buttplate , rear sight and some screws). The saber type bayonet lug is
located on the right side of the nosecap. Complete with a cleaning rod.
Overall length: 39.5 inch. Barrel length: 22 inch.