|The Whitney Arms Company was established by Eli Whitney, who sought to create a more accurate musket that would still be durable enough for use by soldiers. He located the plant on both sides of the Mill River. Though founded in 1798, operations were still small at the time of Whitney's death in 1825. The factory was eventually handed down to Whitney's son, Eli Whitney, Jr., who ran the company for much of the nineteenth century. In 1888, the Whitney Arms Company was sold to the Winchester Repeating Arms Company.|
Eli Whitney U.S. Contract 1812 Flintlock Musket, State of New York Issue
42-inch barrel marked at breech with P and SNY stamps;
flint lock marked N. HAVEN in banner.
Oil-stained walnut stock with SP/V cartouche on left side opposite lock.
Serial no. 4859; .69 caliber,
34-inch barrel; lock and barrel breech dated 1863;
barrel breech marked FCW on left side, V/P/[eaglehead] on left angle flat; 4859 on upper tang;
lock with large eagle and shield motif and U.S./WHITNEY-VILLE forward of hammer.
Oil-stained walnut stock with HW inspector cartouche on left side opposite lock. US on heel of buttplate.
Saber bayonet marked COLLINS & CO./HARTFORD/CONN on ricasso; 2510 on top of brass grip.
Whitney-Laidley Rolling Block Infantry Rifle
Whitney-Laidley Baby Saddle Ring Carbine
Whitneyville Armory Style II Rolling Block
From 1878 to 1882 Whitney contracted with Burgess
to build the levergun under Burgess and Morse patents,
with a total production of less than 3000.
These were made in .45-70 caliber.
Whitney called the gun the "Burgess Repeating Rifle."
It never became a popular selling gun.
Made from 1879 to 1886, this levergun was produced in 2 frame sizes:
Frame - .32-30, .38-40, .44-40
* Large Frame - .40-60, .45-60, .45-75, .50-90.
The rifle was an outgrowth of and an improvement upon
the Burgess design.
However it still was not as popular as the Marlin or Winchester leverguns.
Produced from 1886 to 1888, the Whitney-Scharf levergun was a last effort by Whitney.
The previous Whitney leverguns did not sell well. In an
effort to revive the company Whitney began building guns on the William
C. Scharf patent of 1886.
The rifle was a very fine design, but came along too late to save the company. Whitney sold out to Winchester in 1888.
Produced in .32-20, .38-40, .44-40
WHITNEY EXCELSIOR SINGLE SHOT RIFLE.
Cal. 38 RF.
Serial number not visible. Rare & unusual dropping block rifle, one of less than 200,
with 28" medium weight rnd bbl, tiny front sight and fixed rear sight with maker's name & address above the rear sight.
It has an unusual bottom opening breechblock with rim fire and center fire capability. It is secured with a latch & ring which,
when opened, exposes the chamber for loading & unloading. It has a manual extractor on the bottom of the bbl.
It is mounted with slab-sawed straight grip stock & tiny round forearm with metal band secured with one screw and has a smooth carbine style buttplate.
WHITNEY COCHRAN SADDLE RING RIFLE
Cal. 38. 28" rnd bbl.
Marked "WHITNEY-ARMS-CO.-WHITNEYVILLE.CONN." on top of the bbl and "J.W. COCHRAN. N. Y. PAT'D. / APRIL 4.1865 & FEB-Y. 20. 1866." on top of the breechblock. When the lever is pulled down the breechblock rises and the shell is loaded from the bottom. While the breechblock is open the lever on the right side of the triggerguard is pushed down to eject the case.